We’re thrilled to introduce this great new concept to your school! This year, we’re accepting entries grade 3rd thru 5th.
The idea behind this event is to help educate the kids in HEALTHY EATING HABITS. Too often we hear about obesity in kids and kids not making the right choices in terms of their eating habits. That’s why we want kids to submit recipes for their favorite healthy comfort food!
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Kid Friendly
- Ease of Preparation
- Healthy Attributes
- Plate Presentation
Timeline of the event:
1. A flyer will be sent home with the students describing the event. Included with this flyer will be a blank recipe card.
2. Kids who would like to participate need to fill out the recipe card and return it to their teacher.
3. Teachers will collect the recipe cards and give them to Cafeteria Manager.
4. Cafeteria Managers turn in recipes to “Mark Willis” no later than(March 31st).
5. A distinguished panel of administrators will evaluate recipe submissions and narrow the number of finalists down to 10 (Ideally 1 child per school).
6. Those finalists will be formally invited to a Culinary Competition “Cook-Off” on April 19, 2017, tentatively scheduled event 3-7pm @ Cleveland High School.
7. All Finalists will receive a framed plaque, a medal, recipes book, chef coat, apron and hat and prizes.
The local press will be invited to take pictures of the kid’s creations and parents and teachers can view (and taste!) the final product during the reception portion of the event.
Transportation of the kids will not be provided on April 19th for thecompetition. Kids will need to be dropped off and picked up at Cleveland High School.
Each group of kids will have a kitchen staff member assigned to help them to ensure that there are no safety issues. This will ensure safe food and preparation practices are followed and no one gets harmed. Parents please allow your child to prepare his/hers dish and decorate their table with the assigned kitchen staff member. We encourage the parent to practice the dish with their child at home to make your child more comfortable with the dish.
In order to provide the participants ample space we are asking that parents wait for their child in the Cafeteria, while students are prepping their dish in the kitchen with the assigned staff member.
A book of the competition with pictures of each child will be provided to each student.